BSc (Hons) Food Science and Culinary Innovation
Passionate about food? Curious about how it’s produced from farm to fork, or intrigued by the science behind the dishes that delight our palates? Our Food Science and Culinary Innovation degree will give you the up-to-date knowledge and practical skills to embark upon a career in a fast-paced and constantly changing industry.
Our course has been developed against the key skills competencies outlined by the Institute of Food Science and Technology (accreditation subject to approval) and reflects the evolving needs of the sector, with modules mapped towards the IFST. The course will enable you to explore a broad range of subjects from product development, food quality and safety to sustainability and food science, along with the psychology behind consumer choice and sensory analysis. Whether you are looking to diversify your chef skills or enhance your employability, this degree will open the doors to endless job opportunities in the wider food industry.
The qualification can be offered to Learners from age 18. The Learners need to ensure that they have sufficient capability at the right level to undertake the learning and assessment.
English language requirements
The Qualifications have been designed to be accessible without artificial barriers that restrict access and progression:
• IELTS minimum 5.0- 6.5 overall with no fail.
• Minimum 3A Levels or equivalent qualification.
• Pass 5 GCSE subjects
We consider applicants:
• Who have demonstrated some ability and possess Qualifications at Level 3, for example, ‘A’ Levels or vocational awards.
• Who have spent some time in an organisational role and wish to develop their careers further.
• With professional experience looking to change careers through work-based learning.
• Introduction to Nutrition
• Fundamentals of Food Chemistry
• Culinary Skills with Food Science
• Introduction to Microbiology
• Psychology of Consumer Behaviour and Innovation
• Farm to Fork
This course comes with practical on-the-job training in a role relating to your studies. You will be required to work with one of our employers for 20hours per week and will receive a part-time salary of £712 per month.
The objective of this career development programme is to introduce you to a professional career and equip you with the relevant experience needed to secure a career.
- On completion of your studies, you may be given a full-time graduate opportunity by your employer
- You may wish to further your studies by taking on an academic Masters programme or a level 7 professional qualification