Professional Certificate of Competency in Substation Design (Control, Protection & Facility Planning) (Blended Learning)
This professional development course is designed for engineers and technicians who need to gain practical skills and knowledge in the control, protection, and facility planning systems within substation design.
Substations are critical assets in any power system and serve as important nodes in a transmission and distribution network. Substations, therefore, handle multiple voltages in a given location and link two or more systems of different voltages.
Learners are able to:
• Cover selecting and applying appropriate power system protection to protect equipment and personnel from abnormal system conditions, including short circuits and earth faults.
• Focus on subsystems that perform essential functions in substations.
• Handle multiple voltages in a given location and link two or more systems of different voltages.
The qualification can be offered to Learners from age 18. The Learners need to ensure that they have sufficient capability at the right level to undertake the learning and assessment.
English language requirements
The Qualifications have been designed to be accessible without artificial barriers that restrict access and progression:
• IELTS minimum 5.0- 6.5 overall with no fail.
• Minimum 3A Levels or equivalent qualification.
• Pass 5 GCSE subjects
We consider applicants:
• Who have demonstrated some ability and possess Qualifications at Level 5, for example, HND.
• Who have spent some time in an organisational role and wish to develop their careers further.
• With professional experience looking to change careers through work-based learning.
• Earthing System of Switchyards
• Example of Switchyard Earthing System Design
• Lightning Protection of Switchyards
• Example of Switchyard Lightning and Surge Protection Design
• Protection Design for Substation-1
• Examples/Case Studies of Hv Substation Protection
This course comes with practical on-the-job training in a role relating to your studies. You will be required to work with one of our employers for 20hours per week and will receive a part-time salary of GHC 1500 per month.
The objective of this career development programme is to introduce you to a professional career and equip you with the relevant experience needed to secure a career.
- On completion of your studies, you may be given a full-time graduate opportunity by your employer
- You may wish to further your studies by taking on an academic Masters programme or a level 7 professional qualification